Sign in to follow this  
wolverinefan28

Challenger R/T Shorty Header install

I just did a SRT stock shorty header install on my 5.7 challenger.  I can tell you this, it is nice to have stock Mopar parts on my challenger but if you want ease of install by the JBAs or other brands.  The clamshell on the SRT shorties makes it really difficult to tighten the upper bolts.  I used the 6.1 stock bolts, 6.1 manifold gaskets, a bronze spacer for the oil dipstick, new manifold to midpipe studs and nuts.  I rolled the car on 16,000lb Rhino ramps.  I will take some pictures and post them later on.  I also am using the stock R/T exhaust.  I had a local exhaust shop make two reducers for my midpipes.  If you want to keep your car looking stock, but add some horsepower and torque use the 6.4 header from an SRT8  and the midpipes from a 6.1 or 6.4.  The only reason I say to use the 6.4 shorties is because they come with an o2 bung stock.  I did not have to buy o2 extensions like a lot of people.  Hopefully this answers some peoples questions, it is a pain in the butt.  I did it on my own without any help.  

I haven't had the car out yet.  I have to take the exhaust to a exhaust shop on Friday to have the stock catback modified until I can afford to buy a Challenger SRT8 catback.  The midpipes on the car now are 2.75" compared to the stock 5.7s which are 2.5".

2 hours ago, wolverinefan28 said:

I haven't had the car out yet.  I have to take the exhaust to a exhaust shop on Friday to have the stock catback modified until I can afford to buy a Challenger SRT8 catback.  The midpipes on the car now are 2.75" compared to the stock 5.7s which are 2.5".

oh ok, Performance wise this time around I want to stay basic...full exhaust and a tune. Probably not much more than that. So this might be interesting for me. I was also thinking of changing the gears but Im not sure yet what and how much that would be

1 hour ago, wolverinefan28 said:

Here is a link to a YouTube video I made talking about the installation and some of the parts.

That video is legit. Good info dude. I might have to do this as well. I also have to do the gear upgrade but that one is expensive :) ...might wait a little bit on that upgrade